Monday, July 10, 2023
ARC Members attending: Christine Hobbs, Phil Eagleburger, Ron Ngiam, Anne Weir, David Kay, Danny Ince, and Win Brown. Also attending were Bonnie LePard, President, Cleveland Park Historical Society, and Stephen Hansen, Executive Director, Cleveland Park Historical Society.
This meeting was held via ZOOM.
3424 Quebec Street NW
Agent: Mary-Margaret Stacy, Hill & Hurtt Architects
3424 Quebec Street is a single story on basement, Sears Roebuck & Co bungalow built in 1922 and is a contributing structure in the Cleveland Park Historic District. The house features a wide and prominent front porch. The proposal includes the construction of a second story addition at the rear of the house. The addition would consist of a smaller connector piece at the roof line and a full second floor structure towards the rear of the house. The pitch of the connector piece matches that of the existing roof and the height of the main addition is approximately 5 ½ feet higher than the existing gable. The main addition sits back approximately 20 feet from the front of the porch and runs the width of the existing house. The rear deck would be reconstructed. Materials include wood windows to match the existing windows, and shingle roofing.
The ARC appreciates the thorough presentation and the side-by-side drawings presented by the architect.
While there is an attempt to keep the addition low and pushed back from the front of the house, the ARC thinks that the proposed second-story addition overwhelms the original one-story bungalow. The character of the original structure would be significantly altered by the mass and scale of the proposal. Rather than being subordinate to the original structure, the proposed second story competes with it. The roof lines are changed significantly.
The ARC does not support the proposal as presented. The motion passed 7-0
3542 Porter Street NW
Agent: Benjamin Van Dusen, Van Dusen Architects
Built in 1928 by Louis R. Moss, 3542 Porter Street is a contributing structure in the Cleveland Park Historic District. The proposal includes the removal of the existing two-story, rear addition and the construction of a new two-story addition. This addition would sit behind the original house, the second floor would be pulled in on the three exterior sides and have a hip roof. On the first floor, there would be two skylights on both the east and west sides set in first floor shed roofs. The shingled roofing would match the existing roof and the new windows would match the existing windows. The siding would be textured stucco. Sized at 19 feet by 27 feet, the footprint of the addition would be approximately 330 feet larger than the existing with the proposed addition extending 8 feet beyond the existing addition, and the new deck extending 6 feet beyond the existing deck.
The ARC found that the proposed addition defers to the original house. The ARC has no objection to the proposal as presented. The motion passed 7-0.
2821 Ordway Street NW
Agent: Chris Williams, Landis Architects | Builders
Built in 1904 by Sherman, Lockwood & Paschel, 2821 Ordway is a contributing structure in the Cleveland Park Historic District. The proposal includes a new one-story rear addition to replace an existing one-story addition. The existing rear deck would also be replaced. The proposed addition would be 4 feet longer than the existing addition, and the deck would be the same size as the existing. The length of the new addition would approximate the length of the neighboring house to the west. On the east side is an alley. Materials include a metal roof, Hardie plank panels, wood clad windows, sliding glass doors, and lattice below the first floor. Two windows on the west side of the house would be removed. There are no proposed changes to the front of the house.
The ARC had no objection to the proposal as presented. The motion passed 7-0.