Architectural Review Committee Report, February 2018

Cleveland Park Historical Society Architectural Review Committee

Monday, February 12, 2018

REPORT

ARC Members attending: Christine Hobbs, Lois Orr, Stefan Hurray, Phil Eagleburger, Tina Mead, Win Brown, David Kay and Ron Ngiam.

Also attending was Carin Ruff, CPHS Executive Director.

 

3505 34th Street, N.W.

Owners: Rivera-Kicker

Agent: Jeffery Broadhurst, Broadhurst Architects

The house was originally built in 1929 and is constructed of masonry and stucco with half timbering detail. The proposal includes a rear addition and new window openings on the south side elevation. The front door, which is not original to the house, and several non-historic windows in the front will also be replaced with divided light wood windows. The existing rear frame enclosed porches will be removed prior to the construction of the new two-story plus basement and roof deck rear addition which will add an additional 150 square feet to the house. The new rear addition will consist of a brick foundation and glass and cement board walls on the upper levels. This addition protrudes approximately 9 inches past the side façade of the house.

The ARC is concerned about the dominance and boxiness of the addition. The ARC suggests that the addition, rather than protruding beyond the plane of the south wall of the house, be inset in keeping with the usual practice for additions in the historic district so that it appears to be a subservient rather than a dominant attachment to the original house.

The ARC appreciates the completeness of the package submitted.

The motion passed 8-0.

 

3410 Macomb Street, N.W.

Owner: Menkes

Agent: Alex Smith, Hamilton Snowber Architects

The frame and stucco house was constructed in 1920. The proposal includes a new one-story rear addition with basement and the replacement of the aluminum siding with cedar shingles on the upper floors. The existing 9 foot deep, two-story rear addition will be removed and replaced by a 19 foot, plus 6 foot bay one-story addition. The new rear addition will be stucco with a stone veneer foundation. The existing windows will also be replaced and the front columns will be repaired as necessary. On the south side, a new larger window will be installed on the second floor.

While the ARC has no basic objection to the proposal, the ARC is concerned about the short, flattened, significant footprint of the proposed one story first floor addition in conjunction with the entire removal of the historic rear sleeping porch (subsequently enclosed). Retention of the second floor sleeping porch is recommended as a means to soften the abrupt stepping down of the proposed mass.

The motion passed 6-1.