Monday, October 11, 2021
ARC Members attending: Christine Hobbs, Ron Ngiam, Stefan Hurray, Danny Ince, Ana Evans, Anne Weir, and David Kay. Also attending were Bonnie LePard, President, Cleveland Park Historical Society and Camilla Carpenter, Executive Director, Cleveland Park Historical Society.
This meeting was held via ZOOM.
2952 Macomb Street, N.W.
Agent: Alex Comas, Cunningham|Quill Architects
2952 Macomb Street was built in 1921 and is a contributing structure to the Cleveland Park Historical District. In the 1960s, a rear addition was added to the structure. There were other changes to the original house over the years, including the addition of a front bay window. The proposal presented includes the removal of the 1960s rear addition, to be replaced with a new two-story plus basement rear addition, the replacement of the front garage doors with doors, the replacement of all of the windows with aluminum clad wood windows and the removal of the front bay to be replaced by three new windows. The footprint of the house will increase by 725 square feet. The existing slate roof will remain and in the rear, new stucco siding and a stone base will match the existing. The new rear addition presents a wall of glass to the Tregaron Conservancy.
The ARC appreciates the efforts to revitalize the house and recognizes the owners’ desire to maximize their enjoyment of the views of the Tregaron Conservancy. However, the ARC is concerned about the wall of glass and potential for light pollution that is presented to the Conservancy. It is the location of the house and the proposed addition bordering the Conservancy that raises these concerns. Green space, the Tregaron Conservancy, the Rosedale Conservancy and the ravines are all defining characteristics of the Historic District and worthy of consideration and protection. The ARC suggests the introduction of additional hard materials in the rear and would like to review the revised plans.
The vote was 6-1, with one vote supporting the proposal as presented.