March 9, 2020
ARC Members attending: Christine Hobbs, Win Brown, Tina Mead, Ron Ngiam, Stefan Hurray, Phil Eagleburger, Ana Evans, Lois Orr, Danny Ince, and David Kay. Also attending was Camilla Carpenter, Executive Director, Cleveland Park Historical Society.
3512 Lowell Street, N.W.
Agent: Anne Decker Architects
3512 Lowell Street, which was built in 1916, is undergoing extensive rehabilitation. The current proposal includes the construction of a new guest house and a new garage, which would replace the existing garage in the same location at the rear of the property. The guest house would face Lowell Street on the west side of the property and would be two stories tall plus a finished lower level and have a foot print of 27 Ft. X 27 FT. The stucco, roof tiles and dormers would match the existing house. There would also be a new front retaining wall and a new driveway. The proposed new driveway is shaped like a bar bell with expanded paved areas both in front of the garage and immediately past the curb cut and sidewalk.
The existing garage, along with the house, is a contributing structure to the Cleveland Park Historic District. The ARC recommends that the garage be restored and not demolished, with the existing roof line maintained. The ARC also recommends that the line of the west side of the proposed driveway continue straight north to (near) the front line of the sidewalk, and that the proposed expanded paving and potential parking area in the front yard be removed. This is important to: 1) discourage parking in the front yard (north of the front plane of the houses along the street) and 2) discourage future proposals for widening of the existing curb cut, both issues of which are consistent views maintained by HPO. The motion passed 8-2.
The ARC had no objection to the proposed guest house, although there was some discussion of the front fenestration. This motion passed 9-1.
3610 Quebec Street, N.W.
Agent: Chris Snowber, Hamilton Snowber Architects
The proposal for 3610 Quebec Street includes the removal of the sun room on the east side of the house, to be replaced with an open porch and second story addition, and a second story addition on west side of the house. A rear mud room would be removed and replaced with a covered porch. Various windows and doors would also be replaced and a new awning window would be added above the front door. The materials would match those of the existing house. The house was built in 1926.
The ARC had no objection to the concept presented, but was divided on the addition of the awning window above the front door. The vote was 5-5 on the awning window.